My ADR

A blog detailing life before and after artificial disc replacement (ADR).

Monday, January 9

Update - January 2006

It's been awhile since my last post. The last four months of 2005 were not kind to me or my family, so I stopped blogging.

Since this is about my ADR experience, here's a brief update:

7/28-9/30/05: did PT twice a week. Beginning in September they started doing back massage, which caused extreme, crippling pain that did not go away.

Oct 2005 - Taking Vicadin every 4-6 hours, along with muscle relaxers. Still working, but only out of necessity. In extreme amounts of pain in low back and both legs. It was weird, because I honestly felt like I had surgery all over again, that's how much pain I was in. Had a myelogram and CT, which showed nothing. Met with surgeon, and was told that it can take up to a year before I would notice relief from the surgery. If it came down to it, could do a fusion.

Nov 2005 - Had a selective nerve root block, with no success. A week later had a pain block, which I had many, many times before the surgery, which provided a LOT of relief. Got off all pain meds and resumed fairly normal activities.

Jan 2006 - Lately have been experiencing increased leg pain and low back pain again, though it could be due to the fact I spent many hours driving in a car to/from Ohio/Iowa for my grandpa G's funeral. Actually had to take a Vicadin on Saturday in order to sleep. Injection could be wearing off, or things could just be inflamed. I've started taking Aleve again on a regular basis.

So, the verdict is still out. On the ADR boards I have read about many cases where people continue to suffer from unexplained pain until almost exactly one year after the surgery, and then it just goes away. I'm hoping I am one of those people!

I don't plan on blogging too much on this board, but I did start another blog for 2006. If you want, check out www.displacedgal.blogspot.com. Not too much info on ADR there, but lots on every other aspect of my life and the people/things I enjoy.

Until the next time. Happy 2006!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home