My ADR

A blog detailing life before and after artificial disc replacement (ADR).

Sunday, December 17

Two options: surgery or...surgery

Went to the new ortho doc, Dr. McC on Thursday and was presented with two options for my back. A major fusion or a partial fusion. I'm going to go with the partial but it's a matter of when. I have not told anyone at work yet, as I need to determine how I am going to approach it. Quite frankly, I am worried that if I tell them I will eventually be "weeded out" and replaced. I do a good job and have several letters of appreciation from the group as well as three years of good job performance reviews. However, this is a small group. And I don't trust who I work with. And given the horrible job market here in Ohio, I cannot afford to be without a job. There are a lot of other factors as well that I do not want to get into here, but basically this could get messy.

The surgery will take two hours. They will put in pedicle screws and also take some of my hip bone to help stimulate healing and growth for the pedicles and pars, both which are fractured, at the L5 level. They will go through the back, unlike the ADR where they go through the front. I'll be in the hospital 3-4 days. No driving for 3-4 weeks, but could be back to work at two weeks depending on my employer's flexibility to work with me.

I'm not thrilled about another surgery but I do not have a choice. It could be worse, so I won't complain.

In the meantime I have Christmas to get ready for. Still need to buy gifts AND wrap them. Lots to do around here, so I bid you a happy Sunday.

1 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This design is spectacular! You obviously know how to keep a reader entertained.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own
blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Wonderful job.

I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.

Too cool!
My blog Singapore tuition

 

Post a Comment

<< Home